Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving week!

Hello family and friends!

I have had quite the exciting week.  I feel like I am back at the MTC!  We had two general authorities talk to us this week and the Temple President from Frierburg.  My companion and I were just talking about how much they spoil us there... but what a blessing I got to hear so much of the good word here!  Elder Kent F. Richards, Area Presidency, came and spoke to us on Wednesday, and then on Sunday it was Stake Conference, and we heard from Elder Craig Wright, Area Seventy, and the temple president spoke to us, along with the temple president's wife.  Okay.  We'll talk about Stake Conference first!  Yeah!  Hungary has a stake and I am a part of it :)  We left at 7:30, got there around 9:00, and then the fun began!  It was like a Utah ward!!  So many little children wandering around, the Stake Choir, which I am in, was rehearsing in shifts according to when people showed up, we were helping investigators find seats, it was a mini missionary reunion, and the bathroom had a long line.  It was the best!  I was so happy to be there.  We sat on the front row right in front of the speakers, which was cool because I got to make some good eye contact with the speakers.  A couple of Hungarians spoke and bore simple testimony.  It was great.  And then the temple president and his wife spoke, and then President Smith and his wife spoke, and then Elder Wright spoke.  The only one that didn't speak English was Sister Temple President, she speaks German, but there was a girl that could translate for her.  And they had different translators for every speaker thereafter.  I still don't know a lot of Hungarian, but I understand enough that I can tell when someone translated something a little funny, or different.  Wow!  What a blessing to have people in the Stake the could translate though.  It was a really great conference.  I learned that we need to be worthy to receive blessings from God, and that it is really up to us to help missionary work go forward!  By us, I don't mean just the missionaries... but member missionaries... naturally.  I also learned to be your own kind of beautiful.  I liked that.  It was simple and intriguing.  We should really be who we are and love it--we are in fact all children of God.

The zone conference on Wednesday was fantastic.  Elder Richards was blunt and to the point.  Obey the Missionary Handbook, follow Preach My Gospel, and break mission traditions that don't support either.  It was so cool!  We learned what being exactly obedient means, and turns out, we can all do better, but that we are also doing better than we think.  He spoke with such power, and I know that he has been called of God, and I am so grateful I was able to listen to the words he said.  There was one time where I literally could not move.  I was paying so much attention to everything he said, and I wanted to know more, and then I noticed that I couldn't move my body.  It was weird.  But, then I just ignored it, and kept on listening.  The work is hastening.  Missionary work is growing.  I am so grateful to be here and that I can be a builder of the kingdom!  Yeah!  Missionary work is awesome!

Sister Kimball and I have been working on having better language.  Our investigator, Tamás.  English is his passion.  So, we speak a lot of English when we teach.  He heard us say something like dang, or shoot, and we had to describe to him what it meant, and the context for why we were using it, and we realized although those words are considered harmless, that we should really be shaping up our language.  Sometimes we wouldn't have any problems with it, but sometimes we really do!  Working with a companion to fulfill goals is so much more successful than doing it alone.  Plus, we have a money jar that we put 20 forint in every time we say something.  Today an investigator scared me!  40 forint later... Things are going well.  I am trying to speak with more reverenced language, I think it will help me develop meekness, which is a good thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!  What an exciting time of year :)  Say hi to Camille for me!  Wow.  Can't believe she's headed home.  I love her so much.  Too bad she didn't learn a common language like Hungarian on her mission.  I don't know how she will ever find a way to use Spanish in Utah.  Leah.  I loved your list.  It was fun!  I am glad I made it on the things to be grateful for.  Ma and Pa.  I hope the East Coast is treating you well.  I am SO grateful you finally saw Warhorse.  I want to see that one someday.  Because it is Thanksgiving this week, I will give a good ol' fashioned Thanksgiving dinner answer--feel free to cut this out and read it to the family as everyone is eating ravenously.  This year I am grateful for Gutenberg, the man who invented the Gutenberg Printing Press.  Everyday I use things that have been printed out, and I read from books, and I do stuff...  the kind of stuff I wouldn't be able to do unless someone invented the printing press!  Honestly.  I am so grateful that I have a copy of A Mormon Könyve in my backpack everyday that I can give to someone, to change their life.  The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and it changes lives.  When people know their purpose, when they understand the direction they need to go to return to our Eternal Father in Heaven, they want to be good.  They want to do what is right.  They have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good, continually.  We meet so many people, everyday, and so many people tell us they aren't interested, but for some reason they stick around and talk to us a little bit longer.  We bare testimony of what we know to be true.  They ask a question, so we talk a little bit longer.  People are ready to be found in Hungary, and they are ready to be taught.  Sure, I am not crazy busy teaching all of the time, and I get rejected TONS, but last night we were out tracting for two hours, and we had two people talk to us, and it was really awesome.  Who knows if anything will come from it?  Not me, they said they aren't interested, but it was such a blessings to bare testimony and share a copy of the Book of Mormon with them.  A Book of Mormon that couldn't have been printed if there wasn't a printing press.  And, that is why I am thankful for Gutenberg, and his printing press.

The Church is true!  Christ is my Savior, brother and friend.  If you don't know that, pray about it, read the Book of Mormon, and find out for yourself.  It is up to us as individuals to find God's truth, and it is here, just for us.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Kennedy nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment