Saturday, March 16, 2013

That awkward moment where someone kicks the table...

To answer questions.  Yes, they have daylight savings time in Hungary... But it hasn't happened yet.  I am not exactly sure when it will happen either.  Mom.  My P-Day is on Mondays.  When it is transfer week we will email on Tuesdays, and a couple of weeks ago I got locked out of my account on Monday, and so I had to send my email on Tuesday.  Keep the letters coming :)  I loved both little notes I got this week.

Andrew and Chelsea.  Thanks for the nice emails!  Andrew, I'm sad to hear that Justin Bieber had such an awful birthday, and I will admit getting focused on the work is going to be hard, but I will pray for him, just as you suggested.  Chelsea.  The food here is good.  Most of the time I just eat sandwiches and soup, but today was special and I had a whopper from Burger King.  Weird, right?  Thanks for the pictures and the updates from your lives though.  That was nice.  I liked your Halloween costumes.

Matthew.  School sounds hard.  I will admit when I read that you want to be a lawyer for the Marines, I read Marlins, like the baseball team, and it was only when I read it out loud that it all started to make sense.  WOW! That sounds soooo cool!  Good luck with that and keep me posted on everything that is coming your way.  What an exciting time.

Mom and Dad.  Wow!!  The house looks great.  I like how clean the yellow is and everything.  Good job.  I can't wait to see it all put back together :)  Yeah!!

Sorry, this email might be lacking pictures, but it sure will make up for that with awesome stories!!  This week... We will have the stories go in order of excitement.  I hope you like the climax.

Oh.  This is me and Sister Peterson.  We walked the Duna last week.Inline image 2


Women's day happened this week.  It was really nice!!  There have been street vendors selling flowers and all of this stuff, and I asked an Elder what they were selling the flowers for.  He said Easter.  He was wrong.  Women's day!  So, we got a text from our Bishop thanking us for our service and all of the wonderful things we do, and so then Sister Peterson and I started wishing every woman we saw a happy Women's day.  I say woman, because we only saw Sister Carpenter after that.  But, the YSA had an activity and they brought Sister Peterson and I flowers!!  So nice.  They are simple, but smell very lovely.
Inline image 1

People keep cancelling on us, which isn't a surprise, and it isn't all that interesting.  It is just really frustrating.

Wednesday morning.  What a day.  About a week or so ago, I met a man on the street.  His name is Mohammed, he is from Yemen, really nice.  I had talked to him first, he asked us out for drinks.  I said we don't drink, and he said we should get coffee sometime and I could share my message with him.  Perfect.  Where there is coffee there is hot chocolate.  So, we planned to meet with him Wednesday afternoon.  So, Wednesday morning, I get out of the shower, literally barely step out when I hear Sister Peterson yell, "There is an unknown number calling.  You have to answer it."  Awesome.  So, I start talking to this guy, Mohammed.  He wants to meet up like right now.  I told him that we could meet up at nine, and then we planned everything and then I went back into the bathroom.  Thirty seconds later I hear another yell, "It's another unknown number!"  This time it was a less active lady cancelling on us.  Awesome.  So awesome.  Anyway.  So, we went out to meet this guy in Pest.  He walks up and I shake his hand and then he just kisses us both on both cheeks and takes us into a low end coffee establishment.  It was the most awkward and bizarre thing ever.  He kept like grabbing my hands and kissing them, and he wanted us to stay together all day and Sister Peterson could cook food and I could talk more about the Book of Mormon, and we could married... it was so bizarre!!  So, I told him that Sister Peterson and I both had boyfriends, and that we had pictures of them, and I was trying to really play that card, and he just wouldn't have it.  I never felt threatened, and he was really nice, it was just really weird.  But, we told him about our really awesome friends, the Elders, that live in Pest so it would be way easier for them to meet, and he actually seemed okay with it.  I shook his hand goodbye.  He somehow hugged me.  I didn't know what to do, where to put my head or my hands, so I just awkwardly stood there, my head like... went into his shoulder.  Weird.  Anyway... He accepted a Book of Mormon and said that he would read it because we asked him to.  He loves Americans.  The Elders said they would call him.  Who knows what will happen.

So, I already mentioned that we try to go tabling with the Elders around because we are scared of people.  Two stories I would like to share about that.  We had our little display out, ooh!  Maybe I will take a picture and send it to you!  Anyway, one of the Elders likes to set up really simply.  A couple of Book of Mormons and a sign up sheet.  So, I was just standing there, when this lady comes up to me.  She was so excited we were there!  She started telling me how she had gotten a Book of Mormon a couple of years ago, and how she really liked it, and then she signed her name down on the paper and told me she wants to meet.  What?!  So, I called her!  She is SO excited to meet!  So cool.  So awesome.  The Lord literally blessed us to be able to find her.  So awesome.  She wants to meet this Friday, which is a big holiday, and so we are really surprised and excited that is when she set up, but she, yeah, she's just great.

Next story.  Sister Peterson loves singing.  So, the Elders were standing at the table and Sister Peterson and I were singing from the Hymn book, English style.  So, I am kind of gazing around, singing whatever has been memorized into my brain over the years, just taking in the scene.  There was an old man that came up and started talking to the senior companion in the Elders.  He seemed kind of upset, but it happens.  We've got this other guy come up to the junior Elder and he's asking for some pictures of Jesus to give to his two kids, so that was really nice.  Sister Peterson and I are still just singing.  Guy with the pictures leaves.  It is really hard to sing English and understand Hungarian, but I definitely heard the word, I will kill you, from the upset man talking to Senior Elder man.  So... awesome!  I am trying to sing and I am listening with all of my might, because things are getting WAY interesting over there, when I see him walk away.  Nope!  Joke's on you!  He then turned around and totally kicked our table!!  AHHH!  It was startling, but we weren't really scared.  The guy just walked away. Everyone that was standing around us FREAKED OUT.  Call the cops! What is wrong with that guy?!  Everyone is coming up to us and talking as we are trying to gather up fliers, books, pamphlets.  The whole nine yards.  So, Senior Elder was really cool and just told them that he was just a mean guy.  And then we got everyone calmed down, or at least they left, and then we set the table back up and stayed there for another half hour.  So.  Yep.  That is the life.

Weird things happen here in Budapest.  I love it though.  I couldn't be happier!  In other news, we are meeting with tons of new people and they are all pretty much young single adult age, so that is pretty exciting.  I love, love my mission.  I love, love speaking Hungarian.  I love, love learning new things.  And I love, love that I can go tabling with Elders so we get some sort of protection.  Or maybe they just bring out the crazies.  Who knows?!

Sok szeretettel,
Kennedy nővér

No comments:

Post a Comment